Spay and Neuter Information
The Smithtown Animal Shelter and Adoption Center provides spay /neuter surgery to all animals prior to adoption and it’s included in your adoption fee.
If you’re seeking a cost-effective way to get your existing pet fixed, microchipped or vaccinated you’ll be glad to know that we are visited twice a month by the Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation Mobile Clinic, known as a “state-of-the-art surgical room on wheels.” For an appointment call (631) 566-8870.
Five Important reasons to spay or neuter:
1. Spaying and neutering can reduce the incidence of some of the most common types of cancers, making it possible for animals to live a longer and healthier life.
2. The cost of spaying and neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for one year.
3. Spaying or neutering will NOT make your pet fat. Rather, lack of exercise and overfeeding will cause your pet to pack on the extra pounds.
4. Many unfixed pets have aggression problems and often mark their territory with strong-scented urine, which can make the household unbearable. Early neutering can nix aggression.
5. Spaying and neutering pets is important not just from a health and behavior standpoint, but because it helps address the issue of pet overpopulation.